Easy Vegan Tootsie Rolls
We know Halloween is still a month away but we got WAY too excited when we saw this tootsie roll recipe from Cara, of the Fork and Beans food blog. With fewer ingredients and shorter prep time than you might think, this treat is not only fun to make, but it's also gluten-free and dare we say, better-tasting than the original version. Plus, you now have plenty of practice (and snacking!) time to get 'em just right for next month's big spooky night.
1/4 cup almond butter
1/4 cup medjool dates (pitted and soaked in hot water for 5 minutes)
2 Tbsp. maple syrup
2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
1 Tbsp. refined coconut oil (melted)
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup tapioca starch powder
2 Tbsp. powdered sugar
2 Tbsp. tapioca starch powder
1.Line a baking sheet with a piece of wax paper.
2. In a high-speed blender, combine the almond butter, dates, and maple syrup together until completely smooth.
3. Place in a medium bowl and add the cocoa powder, powdered sugar, and tapioca starch. Mix until well combined and can be formed into a ball.
4. Dust a piece of wax paper with the powdered sugar and tapioca starch. Place the ball on top. Divide the ball in half. Repeat until you half 8 small balls.
5. Roll in the powdered sugar/tapioca mix and between your hands, until each is no longer sticky.
6. Roll each ball with one hand on the baking sheet coated with wax paper, until a narrow string is formed. Repeat for each ball.
7. Freeze for 20 minutes and then cut each string into 4-5 pieces. Cover in candy-grade wax paper. Keep chilled in the fridge, before serving.
For more unique holiday-themed recipes, (which is where I got this one) visit ForkAndBeans.com.